Elaine is a UK Chartered Trade Mark Attorney who joined Dehns in 1996 and was made a Partner in 2007. Elaine is Head of Dehns’ Trade Mark Group.
Type of clients and client work
Elaine works with a variety of clients, ranging from individuals to major companies with significant international trade mark portfolios.
She has extensive experience of handling all aspects of UK and European Union Trade Mark clearance, prosecution and enforcement, advising on and implementing searching and filing strategies, dealing with official objections, oppositions and cancellation/invalidity proceedings, advising in the areas of infringement and passing-off, and dispute resolution. She also advises on and handles domain name and company name disputes. Elaine likewise has considerable experience of filing and prosecuting International applications and in the protection and enforcement of trade marks worldwide.
Recent work for an international client involved a major IP strategic review as part of a global re-branding project. On the back of this review, Elaine developed and implemented the global IP strategy to ensure protection during future diversification of the business, including involvement in extensive and complex settlement negotiations.
Elaine works with clients in many different sectors, including fashion, lighting, renewable energy, pharmaceuticals, entertainment, estate agency, finance and insurance, healthcare and fitness, construction and chemistry.
Qualifications and Memberships
- UK Chartered Trade Mark Attorney, 2002
- Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
- The Association of European Trade Mark Owners (Marques)
BSc (Hons), University of Surrey, Law and French, 1996
As part of Elaine’s professional studies, she was awarded the Adrian Spencer Memorial Award for achieving first place in the Advanced Trade Mark Law Examination in 2000.
Since then, Elaine has been regularly highlighted and acknowledged as a leading trade mark expert in various leading legal and IP directories. This has included:
- World Trade Mark Review 1000 Report – “Recommended Individual” in the 2022 edition and noted for “receiving high acclaim from peers on the prosecution side”
- Leaders League – Elaine was named as a ”Key Figure” in the Leaders League 2021 rankings of leading UK trademark prosecution firms
- World Trademark Review’s “Global Leaders” publication – Elaine was named as a “Global Leader” in the private practice sector of the 2020 and 2019 editions of this publication
- IP Stars – named as an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property for the 8th consecutive year
- World Trademark Review’s annual “World’s Leading Trademark Professionals” publication – Elaine was noted for being “extremely capable” and giving “comprehensive, considered and measured advice” characterised by “remarkable attention to detail”. This is the sixth consecutive year that Elaine has been singled out in this publication, having also received a gold-band individual ranking in the WTR Trade Mark Individuals: Prosecution and Strategy 2021 category
- Lawyer Monthly – Legal Awards: “Intellectual Property – Lawyer of the Year – UK” award
- Legal 500 – Elaine was again acknowledged as a “Recommended Attorney” and has been recognised as a “key lawyer” of the firm for the last few years in the Legal 500 directory.
- In the 2023 edition of the Legal 500, a client commented that: “We have worked with Elaine Deyes for a number of years now, and she always provides thorough, well-considered and pragmatic advice and solutions. Easy to work with, excellent subject-matter and procedural knowledge, she is an effective communicator and with a strong supporting team. A very safe pair of hands.”
- Who’s Who Legal Guide – Elaine was named as an “Expert” in the 2018 and 2019 editions.
- Women in Business Legal Awards – winner of the “Trade Mark Attorney of the Year – UK” award
Elaine has also been named in the Who’s Who Legal: Trademarks 2019 Guide.
Elaine regularly represents the firm at various conferences and events organised by INTA, CITMA and Marques.