Patent/Trademark Records Administrator
Reporting to: Head of Formalities
Location: The principal place of business will be at the Firm’s offices located in London. The Firm is located on other sites within the UK and Europe; travel to, and working from, these offices may be required from time to time.
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week to be worked in accordance with the provisions of the Firm’s flexitime scheme. Hybrid working is available.
Purpose of role: To work within a team processing all aspects of patent and trade mark formalities, from maintaining electronic case records to contacting clients regarding records information and working with foreign attorneys to execute the work.
- Handling various procedures relating to patent, design and trade mark applications including filings, completion reminders, processing official communications, publications, fee payments, grants and certified copies
- Handling incoming correspondence from foreign associates and clients including hard-copy mail and electronic correspondence and logging appropriate deadlines and actions onto the firm’s IP management system – Inprotech
- Reviewing and identifying any due dates from incoming correspondence and diarising said dates in Inprotech
- Reviewing outgoing correspondence and updating the firm’s IP management system accordingly
- Entering details of new cases onto the IP management system ensuring accuracy at all times
- Creating new Inprotech Case records, requesting credit check for all appropriate clients, capturing case details from client instructions, diarising any deadlines and making use of the on-line databases such as EPOLine to check case data against information supplied by the client including acknowledging instructions to create a case
- Generating and sending out all standard correspondence associated with the responsibilities of this role
- To update Inprotech with filing details (this includes checking the details against the filing receipt and arranging for correction, if necessary)
- Checking information/communications received to ensure information is correct, updating Inprotech with due dates, events and changes in the status of cases e.g. publication, grant/registration, and opposition/refusal/revocation, official actions
- Monitoring the daily critical due date list to ensure that Fee Earners are aware of all due dates which require action on the day
- Ad-hoc duties to include any other tasks which may be required in order to complete the role to a high standard.
- Highly motivated, organised, and efficient
- Confident and assured attitude
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Must be able to work under pressure, while maintaining accuracy
- Must have good organisational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritise to meet strict legal deadlines
- Must be able to work independently to a high standard with a strong work ethic
- Must be able to communicate at all levels, both in writing and verbally
- Must be team-focussed, personable, and approachable
- Knowledge of Inprotech (records system application)
- One year + working within a Records or IP department
- On-going development training will be provided
- Knowledge of EP and UK patent and trade mark processes
- Proficiency in German language would be desirable
Qualifications (desirable but not essential):
- CIPA Patent Administrators Course
- CITMA Trade Mark Administrators Course
This job description describes the principal purpose and main elements of the job. It is a guide to the nature and main duties of the job as it currently stands. It is not intended as a wholly comprehensive or permanent schedule and may be varied from time to time. It does not form part of the contract of employment.