Marcus is a German and European Patent Attorney, and also a European Trade Mark and Design Attorney. He began his legal career in 1990, working as patent counsel in the IP department of Linde, the now American-German multinational gas and chemicals company. His practice covers all areas of patent and trade mark law.
After qualifying as a European and German Patent Attorney at a mid-size law firm, Marcus co-founded Kudlek Grunert & Partner, a German firm of patent and trade mark attorneys, in 2000, and joined Dehns as a Partner following the merger of the two firms in 2021.
Type of clients and client work
Marcus drafts and prosecutes patent applications before the EPO and the German Patent and Trademark Office, as well as providing expert opinions and advice on patents, utility models, trade marks, copyright and designs. He advises on IP strategy and due diligence, in addition to litigation and arbitration. He also has significant expertise in the fields of employee invention law and computer implemented inventions.
Marcus works with clients of all size, from local and domestic SMEs in Munich and Germany, to multinationals in Germany, the US, China and Japan.
Marcus’ experience includes automotive technology, optics and microscopy, energy generation, heat exchangers and methods of joining and coating material, software applications, and medical technology.
He also has extensive knowledge in the fields of licensing, employee invention law and software inventions.
Qualifications and Memberships
- German Patent Attorney, 1998
- European Patent Attorney, 1995
- European Trade Mark and Design Attorney, 1998
- Chamber of German Patent Attorneys
- European Patent Institute
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
Dipl. Phys (Physics Diploma/Degree) - Ludwig-Maximilians University, Munich, 1990
- core topics: biophysics, laser physics and superconductivity
- diploma thesis in the field of medical optics
Marcus is fluent in German and English and has good knowledge of French and Spanish.