Joseph is a Partner in our Trade Mark Group and is a UK Trade Mark Attorney.
Having obtained an Honours degree in Law, Joseph joined the firm in 1998 and became a partner in 2009. Immediately prior to joining the firm Joseph spent two years working for a specialist firm of Trade Mark Attorneys where he trained under the then president of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys.
Type of clients and client work
Joseph has experience prosecuting trade mark applications in the EU (EUTM), UK and worldwide in all areas of industry for small businesses, multi-national corporations and solicitors with clients who need specialist assistance with trade marks. In addition to obtaining trade mark registrations, including filing applications and dealing with any related official objections/oppositions, Joseph advises on searching and clearing trade marks for use, registrability, infringement, passing off and domain name disputes.
Based in our Brighton office, Joseph regularly assists regional SME clients with various trade mark matters. He also manages global client portfolios in the fields of cosmetics, entertainment, restaurants and engineering.
Qualifications and Memberships
- UK Trade Mark Attorney, 2001
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys
- Member of the International Trademark Association (Joseph has attended almost every US Annual Meeting for 15 years)
IP Litigator - Trade Marks, 2018
- IP Inclusive Committee Member (IP & ME)
LLB Hons, University of Wolverhampton, Law, 1988
Joseph is highlighted as a recommended trade mark attorney in the leading legal and IP directories. This has included:
- Legal 500 Directory (2020 edition) as a "key lawyer" of the firm. Joseph also received a testimonial stating: "Joseph Letang is brilliant at turning things around quickly for registrations, and giving pre-registration advice that is clear, concise and easily understandable."
- MIP IP Stars (2020 edition) - "Trade mark star"
- MIP's IP Stars (2019 edition) - "Trade mark star"
- MIP's IP Stars (2018 edition) - "Global IP Star"
- Legal 500 Directory (2017 edition) - “Recommended Attorney”
- MIP’s IP Stars (2016 edition) - “Notable Partner” and highlighted for his work in “Filing and Prosecution”, “Oppositions and Appeals”, and “Strategy & Counselling”. In the previous edition it was stated that: “Joseph Letang is a name that stands out at the firm. “He is able to offer practical and concise advice,” says a client. “He is very personable and we were really pleased with the service he provided.””
- World Trade Mark Review (2016 edition) – singled out for providing: “…commercially astute guidance to his clients, including many small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Southern England.” In the 2015 edition it stated: “Joseph Letang maintains a worldwide prosecution practice across myriad industries, although cosmetics and communications are particular strongholds.”
Joseph is a former elected member of the General Council of Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA), where he represented CITMA at UK business conferences, small business advice days and at the annual International Trade Mark Association (INTA) conference in the US. Joseph currently assists CITMA in providing pro-bono advice to SME businesses at CITMA’s regular clinics.
He has been published more than once in a Q&A section in the Financial Times on trade marks, and was also published in relation to Madrid Protocol filings in the trade journal ‘Trademark World’.
More recently, Joseph co-authored the article "EUIPO Board of Appeal showed there was no smoke without fire in fully reversing Opposition Division decision". Click here to view the article. He has also previously published an article on the trade mark battle between RC Pet Products Limited and Jack Wolfskin. Click here to view this article.
Below is a link to a video showing how Joseph works with clients to help them build and protect a global IP portfolio: