Elaine is an EU Trade Mark Attorney and UK Chartered Trade Mark Attorney who joined Dehns in 1996 and was made a Partner in 2007.
Type of clients and client work
Elaine works with a variety of clients, ranging from individuals to major companies with significant international trade mark portfolios.
She has extensive experience of handling all aspects of UK and European Union Trade Mark clearance, prosecution and enforcement, advising on and implementing searching and filing strategies, dealing with official objections, oppositions and cancellation/invalidity proceedings, advising in the areas of infringement and passing-off, and dispute resolution. She also has considerable experience of overseas trade mark matters.
Recent work for an international client involved a major IP strategic review as part of a global re-branding project. On the back of this review, Elaine developed and implemented the global IP strategy to ensure protection during future diversification of the business, including involvement in extensive and complex settlement negotiations.
Elaine works with clients in many different sectors including: fashion, entertainment, publishing, lighting, finance, e-commerce, insurance, construction, renewable energy, pharmaceuticals and chemistry.
Qualifications and Memberships
- UK Trade Mark Attorney, 2002
- Professional Representative before the EUIPO, 2002
- Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
- The Association of European Trade Mark Owners (Marques)
BSc (Hons), University of Surrey, Law and French, 1996
As part of Elaine’s professional studies, she was awarded the Adrian Spencer Memorial Award for achieving first place in the Advanced Trade Mark Law Examination in 2000.
Since then, Elaine has been regularly highlighted and acknowledged as a leading trade mark expert in various leading legal and IP directories. This has included:
- IP Stars – named as an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property for the 5th consecutive year
- World Trademark Review’s annual “World's Leading Trademark Professionals” publication - Elaine was singled out as a “skilled and efficient attorney who is a pleasure to work with”. This is the fourth consecutive year that Elaine has been singled out in this publication
- Lawyer Monthly - Legal Awards: "Intellectual Property – Lawyer of the Year - UK" award
- Legal 500 - Elaine was again acknowledged as a “Recommended Attorney”
- Who’s Who Legal Guide – Elaine was named as an “Expert” in the 2018 and 2019 editions.
- Women in Business Legal Awards – winner of the “Trade Mark Attorney of the Year – UK” award
In the most recent World Trademark Review (WTR 2019) it was commented that: “Star of the show Elaine Deyes is “highly organised and works with machine-like efficiency”". Elaine was also named in the Who's Who Legal: Trademarks 2019 Guide.
Elaine regularly represents the firm at various conferences and events organised by INTA, CITMA and Marques.