Patent Catalyst Scheme
Gain real business assets from your innovation
As a life science start-up, spin-out or SME, you are likely to have tight budgets, some reliance on attracting investment, and a long path to profitability. Whilst you may appreciate that you could benefit from having a considered intellectual property (IP) strategy in place, the complexities and costs of the patent system can appear daunting. However, getting your IP strategy right at an early stage is necessary for maximising commercial value from your innovation and keeping your options open.
In our experience, by providing advice and support at an early stage we can make a lasting difference to your business. This is why we invite you to take advantage of the expert support available under our free Patent Catalyst Scheme.
Free Expert Advice
Our Patent Catalyst Scheme is designed to help life science innovators make the most out of their ideas, by providing up to 8 hours of expert advice free of charge. We don’t use the word ‘expert’ lightly – anyone advising you will be fully qualified as a European and British Patent Attorney with over 10 years of experience.
We will help you to develop a tailored IP strategy by addressing key issues including the patentability of your work, who owns the IP in question, and if, when, and where patent applications should be filed. Where appropriate, we can additionally consider the suitability of trade mark or design protection.
At the end of the Scheme you will be in a position to make an informed decision about whether and how to pursue protection for your innovation.
- Do you have an idea but are unsure if it merits pursuing patent protection? Under the Patent Catalyst Scheme we can carry out an initial patentability assessment to allow you to decide whether or not to file a patent application.
- Are you keen to demonstrate the innovative nature of your business via a patent? We can review your R&D and discuss your results with you in order to identify where patentable inventions may lie.
- Have you already published your research but are now recognising the commercial potential of your findings? Patent protection may still be possible and we can review the situation and tease out any patentable aspects which remain, or identify territories where patenting of the published invention is still possible.
- Are you unsure whether your innovation should be kept confidential or made the subject of a patent application? This is an important decision and we will provide honest advice that is best for your business.
- Are you concerned about how your competitors’ patents affect your business? We can consider third party patents and advise you on the steps you may wish to take to deal with relevant patents.
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then your business could benefit from our Patent Catalyst Scheme.
Please contact Barbara Rigby, our Patent Catalyst Scheme leader, to express your interest in the Scheme and discuss whether we can help you.
Telephone: 020 7632 7200
- Q: Who can take part in the Dehns Patent Catalyst Scheme?
A: The Scheme is open to companies in the life sciences field. It is primarily aimed at start-ups, spin-outs and SMEs, particularly early stage ones.
- Q: Do I have to pay anything?
A: No, our Patent Catalyst Scheme is free of charge.
If you decide that you wish to receive additional advice, once the 8 hours of free advice have been used up, then our usual charges will apply. We will, of course, seek your explicit authorisation before carrying out any work that would be charged and can provide clear estimates for any work to be undertaken.
- Q: Is it right for me?
A: We pride ourselves in giving commercially-focussed advice and taking the time to understand your situation so our input is tailored to your needs.
- Q: What do I need to do to take part?
A: Contact our Scheme leader, Barbara Rigby, by e-mailing Brigby@dehns.com or by calling 020 7632 7200. You will be provided with a confidential questionnaire designed to gather all pertinent information regarding your business and innovation. The completed questionnaire will form the basis of our analysis and we will typically discuss our advice with you face-to-face or on the telephone..
- Q: What can I expect from the Dehns Patent Catalyst Scheme?
A: We will spend up to 8 hours free of charge working with you to improve your IP position. You will get clear, practical advice from our friendly and highly knowledgeable experts.
The Scheme does not extend to the provision of any formal reports, nor the drafting or filing of any patent applications, but participation in this Scheme will create a very favourable starting point for such next steps.
- Q: This sounds too good to be true. Is there a catch?
A: No, there is no catch.
It can be hard to pick a good advisor and we believe that the best way to find out whether we are the right fit for you is for you to get to know us. We are confident that you will find the experience beneficial and hope that you will choose to work with us again in the future.
- Q: Why only life sciences companies?
A: We recognise that life science innovators face unique challenges because of the lengthy research and testing that is typically required before a product can be commercialised.