An IP strategy is simply a plan to build and protect an IP portfolio and to leverage the maximum possible value from the IP assets within that portfolio.
However, the most important aspect of the plan is to make sure that it is completely consistent with the company's business goals and objectives.
We always make sure that we take the time to get to know you and understand your business, your journey, and your commercial objectives. In this way, we can help you make the best and most informed IP-related decisions for you and your business.
We help businesses like yours every day with the creation, implementation and review of bespoke IP strategies which are right for each individual organisation and its specific goals.
We can help and support with key aspects of IP strategy, including:
- Innovation Harvesting: We look at your overall R&D activities to see what innovations might have been/are being created. We can also advise you regarding best practice techniques and processes you can use to ensure the IP you generate is properly identified going forward.
- Innovation Capture: We can help you to put processes in place for effectively detailing your innovations for further review, both in-house and with a member of our team, e.g. for later discussions around how to protect the IP.
- Planning an IP Roadmap: We work with you to divide your product ideas into core elements (e.g. the key functions, aesthetic details, and branding) and advise you regarding how best to protect each of these elements.
- Brand/Trade mark audit: We review your website(s), social media and marketing materials (e.g. brochures, catalogues etc.) alongside your existing trade mark portfolio, if appropriate, to identify any potential gaps in your protection, and advise on appropriate clearance searching/ filing strategies.
- Strategy Review: If you already have an IP portfolio, however large or small, we can undertake a thorough review of your current IP strategy in light of your commercial goals and then advise regarding potential enhancements to your strategy.
In essence, we take a holistic view of your overall R&D activities, then drill down into the details to identify and capture patentable ideas, before finally creating an optimal plan on what to do with each idea. In this way, we work with you to create an IP strategy that’s right for your business and corporate objectives.
We also work with you to ensure that the other aspects of your IP are well protected, for example by ensuring your brand identity is adequately protected through trade marks, and exploring whether registered designs may be applicable to any aesthetic elements of your products. The IP strategy that we formulate with you will also cover aspects of your IP that are not to be protected through a registered right – for example those elements that it may be better to protect through trade secrets, unregistered design rights, and/or copyright (where applicable) instead.